Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow, animals really are sensitive to people's needs.

I took my mom to my brother's house on Saturday. He and his wife were throwing a graduation party for my niece Audrey. We had a really good time sharing and laughing with everyone. My sister-in-law Maria has a really nice family and she and my brother have some really nice friends, too.

One thing that stood out from the whole event was something that their American bulldog, Buster, did to my mom. Now mind you, Buster is full grown and weighs in at a good 100 lbs. Cito, my brother, and Maria had decided to put their two dogs, Raven & Buster, in their bedroom because it was just too hot to keep them outside while everyone was in the house enjoying the party. After we had all eaten and we were all just standing and sitting around talking we convinced Cito to let Raven & Buster come out and join us. Of course when they came out they were so excited to be part of the fun that they were going from person to person nudging and searching for caresses and such. When 100 lbs nudges you it more of a giant shove.

My sister Maria and I were standing in front of my mom who was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden Buster comes to see who is on the couch. What he did was so awesome I'm gonna try and describe it for you. He came over and of course nudged me and Maria and then he turned and saw mom sitting on the couch and I was waiting for him to be a little rough with her but he stopped dead in his tracks, looked at her, and then very gently walked toward her and then gently laid his head on her lap and looked up at her whild she caressed his head. He stayed there until someone called his name. He went away and then returned later and again, stopped in his tracks, as if to compose himself, and then gently wallked over to my mom and again, gently laid his head on her lap so she could caress him. This time, after a little caressing he put his two front paws on couch next to her and stoop up and put his head on her chest for her to caress him and then gave her two gentle nudges with his head. Of course then my brother Cito told him that was enough and so he got down and walked away. He came back while I was helping mom eat some cake and he just sat there patiently waiting for mom to share with him, which she did.

One more thing, by no means am I leaving out Miss Raven, but she has always been full of love and just a beautiful dog who will always be our Miss Raven.

Thank you Cito & Maria for a great time and for loving your pets because the love really does flow through and from them.

1 comment:

Maria Leinen Photography said...

Wow--- I missed that whole exchange with your mom! But yea, I've noticed Buster is very perceptive about when he needs to be gentle and when someone can take his energy full-force. First time I saw that in him, was with a 2-year old little girl in the neighborhood who wanted to pet him. He just sat still, let her put her face up to his mouth and licked her over and over, without getting energetic. Even when she toppled over on top of him, he just stayed down and let her crawl on him. He's such a good dog--- and I love watching him with other people because of this!