Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Boy, my patience was really tested yesterday

It started as a beautiful day and the next thing you know, SATAN reared his ugly head in the church office.

One of our front office workers got really upset with some of us because she just found out yesterday afternoon that one of the other workers in the front office may be going to a workshop on Friday and how can that be if she (Satan's puppet) is leaving early on Friday to go to her daughter's football game because she has volunteered to be the snack mom for the band. She blew up out of control at Michelle, Imelda and myself. I got it when I went in there to try to calm her down because I could hear her all the way into my office. Thank God it was right after lunch an none of the priests or directors had returned yet.

I kept trying to calm her down because she even began crying about she always tries to let everyone know her schedule at least 2 months in advance and why is it that people just spring things on her at the last minute. Imelda tried to explain to her that she did not know if they were going to get to go to the conference/workshop until Friday afternoon and she was already gone to her daughter's game. Even so, not finding out about an event on Tuesday that MIGHT take place on Friday is not a last minute notice. No one ever said she could not leave early for the game, if anything, arrangements had been made to cover for Michelle so that she would not be left in the office alone.

It just reached an embarrassing point and I finally just said, "look, this is a simple lack of communication and we what we all need to agree on is to try to do better in the communication department. But, we also need to prepare for the fact that this is not going to be the last time something like this happens and we cannot take it personally. No one is trying to intentionally offend or hurt someone's feelings. It's just how things happen sometimes and we need to be able to deal with these things without getting all upset and out of control."

They all apologized to each other and everyone went back to work. As for me, I had to keep reminding myself that I worked in a church office so, kicking someone's ass, especially when they yelled at me about ganging up on them, was definitely out of the question. Ask anyone in my family, I only discuss for so long before my fist flies into your face to shut you the hell up. Then I tend to feel much better. The good thing is that my joints now don't let me react as quickly as I did in the past so I've learned to just leave the idiots talking. But if they follow, I'll not be held responsible.

And how was your day?

No comments: