Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 2 of Vacation

I might as well be at work. I have had more calls from the office in these past two days than when I'm there in person. My sister said I should not answer my phone but one of the conditions of my being off for a whole week with such short notice (1 week) is that I would work from home and be available if they needed me. I guess I just didn't realize how much they need me. I'm not complaining! I know that some people would be glad to have my job or any job. I'm just saying that working from home is definitely not what it's made out to be. As soon as I start to try to do some type of housework I get a call which requires me to log on to my computer. Today I even got a call while I was on the road to do a favor for my brother. They had to wait until I got back home for me to be able to answer them. Oh well, at least it's not been boring.

Tomorrow I have to start my day early because I plan to buy groceries before I have to go to the office for Safe Environment Training (I work for a church) 10:00am - 11:30am. I'll stay at the office for the March birthday luncheon because at 2:00pm we have our staff meeting and I'm the one who keeps the minutes. At least it's usually only an hour long. My luck this one will be longer. At least I know that my cousin's daughter will be staying with my mom while I'm gone. I asked her if she would like to earn a little extra money during her Spring Break by staying with mom when I have to be away from the house for such a long time. She's also gonna be here on Thursday because I have a dental appointment in Richardson at 10:00am.

I did one good thing done. I was able to wash some towels and hang them up outside to dry. I love hanging my linens outside to dry. They feel so good when you bring them in.

Well, that's it for today. Let's see how my "plans" go for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Maria Leinen Photography said...

Nia,
Are you using your paid vacation time for this week? If so, they may be in violation of employment law. Last I knew, if an employer requires an employee to perform work duties on their own personal time, it should be comp'ed. Especially if the employee is not salaried. I did some research on this about a year or so ago, when Frank was having to be on-call and work from home without pay...

Amazes me how much I'm hearing of scenarios where employers are taking advantage (IMO) of employees right now...

Beli said...

I second that comment from Maria. I see it this way, salaried or not, if they granted you the week off then it's a week off....period. Now I understand that it came with a condition but they can do nothing without you, I mean really. :)

Moni and Tim said...

Hey, who do they think they are. It's your VACATION. Don't ever go on vacation with a condition that you will be available. This is your time away from work and all that stuff that keeps you busy. You need to keep a pad witht he hours you worked on your vacation. Next time you need to go do some personal time use that comp time to do it. IT'S YOUR VACATION.